Monday, July 4, 2016

Working with Distress Crayons and the "Summer Lovin'" Classic Kit

Happy 4th of July!!!  It's Meridy here, and this week the design team is sharing their layouts using the Distress Crayons from the "Summer Lovin'" Classic Kit.  I was super excited to get the 2 Distress Crayons in this month's kit because I have never used any sort of mixed media on any of my layouts. Right away I started researching Distress Crayon techniques on Pinterest.  I found this video very helpful. 

Here is the layout that I created, I am just getting my feet wet with the mixed media, it was a little harder than I thought!!!  So I practiced a little on some scrap paper first.


Before using the Distress Crayons, I loosely laid out my photos and paper layers.  Once I decided where I wanted the water color look to go, I colored a bit with the pink crayon and wet it with a water brush, moving the color around on the white background paper.



You can see the light pink on both sides of the layout, then I decided I also wanted a little yellow crayon on the journaling tag.  Once it was dry I was able to journal right over it with a black Precision Pen.  


Next I added chipboard embellishments, brads, and some sequins on both sides of the layout.  I thought the layout looked like it was still missing a little something, so I used some Mr. Huey mist and spattered some yellow mist across the layout.



I am looking forward to using some more of the Distress Crayons on future layouts.  It was so fun stepping out of my comfort zone and giving a little mixed media a try.  I would love to see how you are using your Distressed Crayons too!!!  You can share your NM Kit layouts on our Member Facebook Page.  



1 comment:

Laura Creates said...

Such a great layout!